Chettinad-Style Chicken29 July 2016 04:07 AM
Chef Vengatesh Rkv 5 Views
Preparation 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love Chettinad-style food. The gravy is very peppery and flavourful. This curry goes very well with plain rice and papad on the side.
Ingredients 6 serve
- 1000 grams skinless, boneless chicken
- 1 spoon turmeric
- 0 spoon salt to taste
- 0 cup vegetable oil
- 4 spoon poppy seeds
- 2 spoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 spoon fennel seed
- 2 spoon coriander seed
- 2 spoon cumin seed
- 2 quantity arge onions, minced
- 4 quantity green chile peppers, chopped
- 2 quantity sprigs fresh curry leaves
- 1 spoon garlic paste
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup cup water
- Rub the chicken pieces with the turmeric and salt. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or kadhai over medium heat. Fry the poppy seeds, peppercorns, fennel seed, coriander seed, and cumin seed in the hot oil until they just begin to change color; remove from the skillet, keeping the oil in the skillet. Grind the spice mixture with a mortar and pestle and set aside.
- Add the onion, green chile peppers, curry leaves, ginger paste, and garlic paste to the remaining oil; cook until the onions are golden brown, 7 to 10 minutes. Stir the tomatoes and ground spices into the mixture; cook until the tomatoes are softened. Add the chicken. Season with salt and simmer for 5 minutes. Pour the water over the mixture, cover, and cook until the chicken is no longer pink in the middle and the juices run clear, about 30 minutes. Serve hot.